16th April, 2020
All General and Stand along Health Insurers (Except AIC and ECGC),
Sub: Providing mandatory medical insurance coverage to workers as part of the National Directives of MHA, GOI
- Reference is invited to Order No. 40-3/2020-DM-I (A) dated 15th April, 2020 issued as part of the Consolidated Revised Guidelines by Ministry of Home Affairs, GOI. As per the said order, inter alia; the following are stipulated:
- All industrial and commercial establishments, work places, offices etc. shall put in place arrangements for implementation of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) before starting their functioning.
- As per clause no. 5 of Annexure – II of the said SOP for social distancing for offices, workplace, factories and establishments, medical insurance for the workers to be made mandatory.
- In light of the above, all General and Health Insurance companies may offer comprehensive health insurance policies either to individuals or groups in order to enable the listed organisations / employers / establishments comply with the above referred directions.
- The insurers are advised to devise comprehensive Health insurance products with simple wordings, conditions and at affordable cost to be offered to the stated organisations.
- The above referred organisations should be able to continue the Medical Insurance Policy offered by insurers not only for the present situation but for all time.
T L Alamelu MEMBER